Monday, March 28, 2011

What's for Dinner? Week 3

Since Weeks 1&2 were so easy to put together, we thought we'd keep going with week 3.  Our meal planning this week started with the all-important question "Does anyone have any suggestions or requests for dinners this week?"  I got two answers.  "Pizza" from Monkey; "Enchiladas" from Brian.

We've had pizza the past two Fridays, and Enchiladas in the last week.  Thanks for the help, guys.

I like to plan my menu by looking at two three things:
  1. What do I already have that needs to be used up?
  2. What are my staples that I always have on hand?
  3. What is on sale at the grocery stores?
To use up:  half a bag of potatoes, more hamburger in the freezer from the last 2 weeks.
On hand:  rice, eggs, pinto beans, canned tomatoes, tortillas
On sale:  stirfry vegetables, brown rice, broccoli, pork, bacon and chicken. 
                (Pork and chicken for next week)


Monday:  BLT's and Country Potato Salad

Tuesday:   Stirfried vegetables with brown rice and egg rolls

Wednesday: Pasta (somthing easy since there is a softball game AND Cub Scout pack meeting)

ThursdayBurrito Casserole in the Crockpot
With Spanish Rice

Friday:  Navajo Tacos
I'm making these on Friday (instead of pizza!) because we'll be gone most of the weekend and the "fried food" smell will have time to dissipate.  I really don't like frying food in oil because it seems like the whole house stinks like a greasy-spoon! (Does anyone use the term greasy-spoon anymore?  Come to think of it, I haven't heard anyone but my Grandma or Mom use that to describe a restaurant.)

For a treat I'm thinking about trying Nanaimo Bars.  Strictly as an experiment, mind you.  I'm not planning on eating them at all.  No, not at all.

As I make my menu and check off the things I have on hand, I'm also making my grocery list for the rest of it, usually fresh fruits and veggies and the meat and dairy.

I also write the main dish down on the calendar for each day.  Then everybody knows the answer for that age-old question, "Mom, what's for dinner?"

I'm linking here:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...