Friday, March 25, 2011

Flowers-How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

 Almost every page or project that I make seems to have a flower or flower-ish shape gracing it, even though 3 out of my four kids are boys.  This is a page I made a few years ago about Joe's flower pot that he painted, planted a flower in, and gave it to me.  The journaling is on the tag tucked behind the picture.  I used Jenni Bowlin papers, Cloud 9 chipboard, the frame around the picture is My Mind's Eye, the tag is Jenni Bowlin and I can't remember where the blue quote is from.  The sheet of music is from an old music book.




Here's a close-up of the flower. I cut the circles free-form using scalloped scissors, layered them and just stitched an X over them. When I sew on pages I use very little adhesive, just enough to tack things down. Then I use my sewing machine to do the rest! Like the recipe book I made for my sister using no adhesive. It's easier on the scrapbooking budget, that's for sure, because I go through a lot of tape runners!


This page uses papers from K&Co., Cosmo Cricket, Jenni Bowlin, and one other paper.  Good golly, I keep forgetting one product!


You'll also notice that I use a lot of shipping tags.  Because I love them.  Really, they are so versatile.  This one has the sonnet XLIII by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  I realize that it is no longer in the 14 line sonnet format because I had to change it to fit the tag, but the words are still just as beautiful.

This flower was made by first punching a circle out of an old cardstock sticker that I wasn't going to otherwise use.  {Yes, I recycle my scrapbooking supplies!}  Then I covered the top side of the circle with adhesive and started winding the lace from the outside edge to the inside, like a reverse funnel.  The button stuck on with a pop-dot.

Add caption
The little flower is three layers of cardstock mod-podged together, then covered with patterned paper and punched twice to make a fake chipboard fake button.  {Yes, I meant to type fake twice.  I not only recycle my supplies, I fake it when I scrapbook.  I also use "mod-podge" as a verb.  It is an action word, you know.}

I backed this fake chipboard fake button with a layer of the same lace as the top button by zipping some adhesive on the back side edges.



This scalloped fake button is made like the button above, except with the scalloped circle punch.
Now, onto the next page...the Christmas card picture.  This is a little bit busy since sometimes I just keep adding things until the page weighs about two pounds.  Notice the tag again?  Why mess with a good thing?  I also used the lovely scalloped circle-pseudo flower again.  I dug into my stash to find a Rhonna Farrer diecut patterned paper from a few years ago.

 
In this close-up you'll see baker's twine, another of my go-to items, and a lovely jumbo button.  Have I mentioned my love affair with buttons?  I'm sure I have somewhere along the line!
And also some stitching details.  If I am at home near my sewing machine the page gets stitched.  Just saying, nothing is safe from the needle and thread.

Have a great weekend!

I'm linking up here:







Stuff and Nonsense

4 comments:

Alison Agnew said...

these pages of yours are beautiful...you have a real talent at preserving your family's memories in such a sweet way...thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded...i hope you'll be back again to link up with us.

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Alison Agnew said...

these pages of yours are beautiful...you have a real talent at preserving your family's memories in such a sweet way...thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded...i hope you'll be back again to link up with us.

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Wow! These are gorgeous and your work is inspiring! I am ashamed to tell you that my early photos are in shoe boxes. (Oh the shame...)
:)

Corine Moore said...

I LOVE your scrapbook pages!

It seems like it must take a ton of time to get so good at it. I procrastinate at the thought of it; it is overwhelming! Is there a good source to go to to learn SIMPLE digital scrapbooking (I'd rather do it simply, than not at all)? I haven't done digital yet, but do want to learn. Any suggestions?

Corine
corinesmiles.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...