Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2 - Some more on why I chose this topic...



Have you ever thought about what you would do in an emergency? Where would you go? What would you take with you? Would you have the basic food storage and supplies to support you and your family? 

I have to say that this weighs heavily on my mind, and in these sketchy economic times many people are faced with these circumstances everyday. Being prepared for emergencies or other disasters, food price hikes, unemployment, or anything else will help you to have better peace of mind and security. Having the proper emergency supplies available to you will ensure you're prepared for any situation.

I'm also a big believer of trying to do things as cheaply inexpensively as possible, and trying to use what I have first.

In my quest for information and knowledge about these things I've come across SO much, and also discovered that there is way more that I can't get to or won't be able to do right now in our circumstances, but I'm going to share things  on here that I find.  Some are pretty basic and maybe even every day things that can be done and some may seem a bit out there and extreme, but might be information that a reader might need.

Here are a couple of FREE resources I found via The Morris Tribe on Facebook.  I'm in no way profiting from or endorsing these, but think they have interesting or pertinent information


  1. First issue of Prepare Magazine
  2. Free Kindle book Fall And Winter Gardening on Amazon (update: no longer free.  That was quick!)
These will hopefully help us in trying to save money and be more self-sustaining.
We now live out in the country with fruit, nut and even an olive tree, so I have been and will continue to figure out how to utilize these things for eating and storing, and using what I have, even if it means eating cucumbers for every meal like the great cucumber summer of 2008, or zucchini in everything we eat for a month.  


Earlier this summer we had boxes of apricots that we canned, froze, and just plain ate by the dozens.  Then came cherries, which we just ate all we could fresh before the birds got them.  Now we're looking at almonds, then pomegranates, and then persimmons and pumpkins.  I'm going to do my best to utilize them all to the best of my ability because there is no cost to growing them except some water and sunshine!

The boys and I started some seeds for our fall garden by recycling some plastic milk jugs that we've been saving, cut one side off, and filled them with potting soil.  Then we planted leaf lettuce, arugula, chicory, Italian parsley, and rosemary.  This is the start of our winter garden since these were the seeds we had on hand.  I'm hoping to plant some broccoli, cauliflower and more lettuces to make a pretty well-rounded garden as far as greens go.  Maybe some radishes and onions, too.






Are you planning a fall or winter garden?  Even if you only have a little bit of space you can grow some herbs, lettuce, or greens.

For Day 1 (and links to the rest of the days) go here!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really want a fall garden, but I don't think it would work here unless we built a cold frame (which I really want). I love the idea of the garden starts in the milk jugs! Such a great idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...