Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 7 - Preparing Spiritually


First of all, if you are reading this and might be wondering, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  If you want to know the basics of what we are about you can check mormon.org for more information.

Several years ago my parents built a large house with a concrete floor and no basement.  That wouldn't be in issue in some parts of our beautiful country, but in tornado alley a basement is the norm.  My dad did some research and decided to buy and install a storm shelter similar to this.

Source
There were several times that we had to get into this storm shelter, and even though we were anxious because the storms are so unpredictable, it is such a relief to be surrounded by the strength of the concrete and earth around us.

Spiritual Preparedness is just like that storm shelter.  It is what will surround us and protect us when the rest of our life might be in chaos.
"...but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."
I want my family to be strong in our faith, our finances, and our food.
My Spiritual Preparedness Tool Box would consist of these things:


  • Prayer:  If I am praying daily and have an open and honest communication with my Heavenly Father, then when I am in crisis mode I would like to think I will continue to have an open and honest communication with Him, including thanking Him for the blessings that He has given to us. I want to pray for the wisdom and the strength to handle the things that are thrown my way.  I want to KNOW how to pray, and how else can I know than by practicing every day.
  • Study:  Whether it is studying my scriptures, lessons for church, or other church publications, knowing and understanding the scriptures will strengthen me spiritually.
  • Tithing:  Being a full tithe payer (10%) will bring blessings to our family.
  • Following Modern-Day Prophets: Watching conference and reading what our modern-day prophets have to say and living the standards of the Gospel are all things we can do to become more spiritually prepared.
  • Having the guidance of the Holy Ghost:  I know that if I am following the commandments and living the Gospel that the Holy Ghost will guide and direct me and my family.  Then when we have an unexpected problem (aren't most of them unexpected?) I will have the faith and spiritual strength to get through it.
Knowing and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ will be the foundation to build the rest of our other preparedness principles on.  It will be the storm shelter to surround us in those times of need.  When the storms are raging about us, literally or figuratively, what better way to bring peace to us and our family than to call upon our Heavenly Father to calm the wind and the waves?

Peace, Be Still.

You can find my other 31 days of blogging posts at the end of day 1 here.

Don't forget to enter the VERY LOW ENTRIES giveaway here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...