Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pioneer Day #1


Pioneer Day commemorates the entry of Brigham Young, and the first group of Mormon Pioneers in to the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois and other locations in the eastern United States.


In addition to being an official holiday in Utah, Pioneer Day is considered a special occasion by many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. On Pioneer Day, some Latter-day Saints reenact walking the Mormon Trail or entering the Salt Lake Valley by handcart.


When I was growing up in rural Wisconsin, I loved Pioneer Day. We would celebrate in different ways, but one of my sisters and my favorite Pioneer Day was the year Dad built an actual handcart (to be used in the handcart races, of course!) We played endlessly with that handcart. Mellisa made Emily and I tote her around all over the farm in it.


Sugardoodle has a ton of fun activities to do the whole week. I think the kids and I will plan some fun things to do on Pioneer Day. We’ll let you know what we decide!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I love how the eldest child made the two younger children pull her around...so Mellisa! :) That's pretty funny though...although Dad never made a handcart for us when we were little! How unfair. :)

Mandy said...

I love how your blog keeps us updated with all the fun family things to do! I too am going to try some of these activities on sugardoodle! You're awesome, thanks!

Also do you remember the websites that were spoken of at your book club meeting? SOmeone mentioned a classic book website and I can't remember what it was. Also so many books were mentioned, next time I am going to bring a notebook so I can remember all these things!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...