Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Countdown to Christmas

EDITED: Millerjk, I need your e-mail address. If you scroll down and look to the right, click on "View my complete profile", then click on e-mail on the left, you can send me an e-mail. If you are not millerjk, but still want a scripture list, please do the same. Thanks!

We love counting down to Christmas day, and what better way to do that countdown than with an advent calendar? My sister-in-law gave us this beautiful calendar several years ago that I fill with scriptures to tell the Christmas story. {If you are interested in a copy of them, comment or send an e-mail to me and I will get them to you. They are a Microsoft works word processor document, but I can copy them to wordpad, also. I don’t know how to convert them to an adobe document.}

The scriptures begin with Samuel’s prophecy in the Book of Mormon, Joseph and Mary’s journey to Bethlehem, the birth of Christ, and their flight into Egypt to escape King Herod. I always add this part. When I was young we would listen to a cassette tape of the Christmas story, and it always ended with Joseph and Mary escaping to Egypt with the Christ child, so that is how the story should go. At least to me. But you could just use mine as a springboard to create your own scriptures for your advent calendar. I roll each strip of paper with the scripture printed on it, then tie it with a ribbon and put them in the pockets.

I would also like to add some Christmas songs this year, such as “Samuel tells of Baby Jesus”, “Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem”, “Away in a Manger”, etc., and “He Sent His Son” as the last song. It’s so beautiful I want to cry every time I hear it!

Here are some other ideas for advent calendars if you don’t have one already.

Christmas Countdown and some Christmas Coupons from the Friend Magazine.


And these beautiful houses from the Rouge de Garance blog could be used year after year. I'd make them, but I can't read French. Come to think of it, I can't speak French either!


Look below the scarecrows to see the adorable advent tree that Nini made for Green Parents magazine. What a great idea!


This easy advent calendar uses plastic wrap and ribbon.


Here is a fun homemade calendar from Family Fun.



And for 25 days of ideas check out this page from About.com:Homeschooling. Each day has recipes, crafts, games, etc.
Find more great ideas at Scribbet's Winter Bazaar.

5 comments:

Tara said...

So where's the decorated golf-cart?

Scribbit said...

I love all the different advent ideas--I should have one for each of the kids so no one argues over who's turn it is to do the countdown that day.

millerjk said...

I would love the scriptures/advent emailed to me please. What a wonderful idea.

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Millerjk, I need your e-mail address. If you scroll down and look to the right, click on "View my complete profile", then click on e-mail on the left, you can send me an e-mail.

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous tradition. I found you on the LDS blogroll. I would really love the scriptures as I have been wanting to do something like this with my family. My email address is racheltomsick@gmail.com

Thank you thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...