Monday, February 27, 2012

What's for Dinner, February Weeks 4

Monday:  Salmon, Risotto, Roasted Asparagus-Orange Salad
*The trick to frugally feeding a large family some fish is to make the portions small, keeping the cost low, and serve with something filling, in this case the risotto.

Tuesday:  Bean and Cheese Burritos made from homemade whole wheat tortillas and these pinto beans in the crockpot from the beginning of the month.  I froze them in 3 1/2 cup containers and labeled with masking tape.  I spooned out some regular pinto beans before mashing and cooking the remaining beans into "refried".
This recipe actually made 5 of these containers (I used one up for chili last week) which was over 15 cups of pinto beans for CHEAP!



Wednesday:  Fried rice made with leftover brown rice/wild rice/shiitake mushroom and carrot medley from last week that I froze with some leftover peas.  Eggs are an inexpensive protein, so making a large batch of fried rice and adding some egg rolls is something a little different than our usual dinners.

Thursday:  Gone All Day Stew, made like this Hamburger Stew, but using some roast instead of hamburger, and bread from the bread machine.  We have basketball and meetings tonight, so having something to eat that is ready when we are lessens the stress.

Friday:  Pizza.  Keeping it easy.  Might try these Mini Pizzas if there's time.

Saturday:  Apple Pie Pork Chops, salad and potatoes.   We do love our pork chops with apples.

And for a treat -- Chocolate Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting.  Instead of the chocolate ganache that is used in the recipe, I made a peanut butter frosting using two ingredients:

1 cup of Peanut Butter and 1 cup of Marshmallow Cream
Beat together until combined and spread on the cake.

Now the cake can officially be called a Monkey cake.  This recipe was quick to put together and made a moist, chocolatey and not too banana-y cake.  Thumbs up from all of the tasters.



I'm linking here:  Menu Plan Monday,  Tasty Tuesdays

4 comments:

LC said...

Love the cake. :)

Unknown said...

I see I'm not the only fan of the chocolate and peanut butter cake!

Penny said...

Umm..I would to be eating at your house! Your menu sounds so appealing! The banana chocolate cake sounds heavenly especially with the peanut butter frosting...that is so going in my recipes!!! Thanks for sharing!

Nell said...

I like the idea of freezing beans. I am going to have to try that. Then I can control what is in them without having to plan all day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...