Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What's for Dinner, February Week 1

This week I decided to try some pinto beans in the crock pot based on this video by The Greenbacks Gal(If you're not following me on pinterest, you can find me here.) 

Here is the recipe.  I found that they needed quite a bit of salt after they were cooked.  Don't add salt while cooking or the beans will stay hard.


Pinto Beans in the Crock Pot
2 pounds dried pinto beans
2 onions
1 large green pepper
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes

Soak picked through and rinsed beans overnight in bowl with enough water to cover by several inches.  The next morning drain them and put into a large crockpot.  Put peeled and quartered onions in the food processor with a blade attachment and dump in with beans.  Do the same with the green pepper.  Then add the diced tomatoes and stir it all together.  Cover with water and cook for 12 hours on low.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

*I tried cooking just for the 8 hours, but my beans needed a full 12 hours to cook.  These were tasty, but the beans that I made just using water and chopped onion and some cumin and garlic were tasty, too. So the jury is out...if I want the extra step of the food processor, these will be fine, but if I just want to toss everything in the crockpot and walk away without the extra dishes, I'll make my usual beans.





Monday:
Leftovers Buffet- We have hot wings, homemade pizza, homemade pinto beans with tortillas, and Thai beef cabbage rolls in the fridge, and I'll make some veggies to go with.

Tuesday:
Apple Pie Pork Chops, roasted red potatoes and carrots

Wednesday:
Pasta with pesto, bread sticks, salad, veggies

Thursday:
Chicken and dumplings to use up extra veggies and the chicken from last week that's in the freezer

Friday:
Pizza?  Middle school dance and basketball game, so maybe even hot dogs at the game for the boys.

Saturday:
I'm thinking about going scrapbooking.  :)  Something easy, like eggs and toast is called for.

Our compute spontaneously combusted yesterday, so if no one hears from me from a while don't send out the search party.  Hopefully I'm being very productive instead of sitting on pinterest all day.  :)

Linking here: 

Menu Plan Monday

Tasty Tuesday

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...