Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sunday Morning

I just acquired this print of a painting titled Sunday Morning from my sister Emily. (Don't you like how I used the word "acquire"? Makes me sound like some sort of art aficionado or something!) It's about 2ftx3ft, nicely framed, and painted by well-known American landscape painter Asher Brown Durand.

The more I look at this painting, the more I love it! It shows people making their way toward the church in the background on the right hand side.

Let me tell you, this peaceful scene looks nothing like our Sunday mornings around here! A typical Sunday morning finds me up at 6:30 to take a shower and dress, then I start to wake everyone else up by either yelling a "wake-up" at the top of my lungs, then doing it over and over again until my bleary-eyed children are out of bed. Andy usually ignores me and sleeps right through it all.

I rush around barking orders, getting clothes together, arguing with Joe (who never wants to go to church) and ironing above mentioned clothes. When we finally get to church, we squeak in right before the opening hymn, if we're lucky.

Once in a while I get it together enough to have all of the clothes out the night before, and tonight is going to be one of those nights. I hope. That's my new goal: Peaceful Sunday Morning. Maybe not quite like the painting, since I really don't want to walk to church, but peaceful nonetheless.

2 comments:

Kerry Blair said...

Love the picture . . . and the thoughts that came with it! Hang in there, the kids eventually grow up and Sundays, while blissfully peaceful in some ways, are ever-so-boring in others! :)

Fleur de Bee said...

Beautiful picture! I love it! Why is it Sundays can be just as stressful as the other days? Pondering that for the answer then I'll get back to you lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...