Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Passing of a Prophet


President Gordon B. Hinckley, leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, prophet, seer and revelator, died Sunday evening at the age of 97. President Hinckley was the prophet for most of my adult life, and it has been a blessing to be able to hear and follow his counsel. President Kimball was the prophet I from my childhood, but I remember so much more that President Hinckley said and did. The six B's, which went to the 9 B's, all of the temples that were built and dedicated, his sense of humor that went hand-in-hand with his amazing spirituality.


Andy and I were privileged to hear him and Sister Hinckley speak at the Sacramento Area Conference 11 or 12 years ago. It was held at the Arco Arena, which was filled with people in their Sunday best eager to hear the words of a living prophet. He was an amazing example of leadership tempered with humilty.

This is how I will always remember him: "I am no longer a young man filled with energy and vitality. I am an old man. I'm given to meditation and prayer. I would enjoy sitting in a rocker, swallowing prescriptions, listening to soft music, and contemplating the things of the universe. But such activity offers no challenge and makes no contribution. I wish to be up and doing. I wish to face each day with resolution and purpose. I wish to use every waking hour to give encouragement, to bless those whose burdens are heavy, to build faith and strength of testimony."

He has left such a legacy.

One more quote from the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley: "We honor best those who have gone before when we serve well in the cause of truth."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...