Monday, July 9, 2012

Turning my China Hutch into a Scrap Space

We recently moved to a smaller house.  Smaller house = downsizing.  I'm trying to work in my scrapbooking supplies without having them shoved in containers into the back of the closet where the thought of having to get them out deters any scrapbooking whatsoever.  I decided to use my China hutch that came with us from Missouri via my sister's client, to my mom, to my other sister, and then to me.  ( I have the matching table, too.)

The hutch is sitting on the only wall-papered wall in the dining area, and I have to say that I love this wallpaper!  I'm pretty certain that it's original to this 1960's house, and it's in perfect shape.  Not a tear or smudge.  When I unpacked I just threw everything onto the shelves, so this was half-empty (or half-full for you optimistic folk).

So this is BEFORE

 The back wall of the hutch was painted a lovely light pink (it was previously a blue and a dark red) and I wanted to brighten it up a bit so  white it is!  Just a couple of quick coats did the trick.


 And here is AFTER:


I already had the canvas totes on top and they're holding larger supplies and alterable wood.  Most of my containers were aqua blue and green, which go just fine with the yellow and greens in the wallpaper and china hutch.

This cute couple holds some paintbrushes, and my art journals are behind just begging to be taken out to be used!  The tins hold tags and some pictures.


The large green buckets are planters I got at an awesome yard sale for a quarter apiece.  The small buckets are from Target's dollar spot. These are holding small embellishments sorted by color.

 Love these cigar boxes, they're the perfect size for metal embellishments like eyelets, grommets and brads.  One of them holds old clothespins, and another has some tape runner refills.


Jars are my other favorite go-to holder; makes everything visible.

Old music books I use in my projects and some paint in an old wooden box that I picked up at a yard sale, too.  It was already painted that awesome blue!

This isn't everything, but I wanted to keep some of my favorite and often used things in the cabinet.  I have ribbons and tools and all kinds of other things in the cupboards and drawers.  And the coat closet in the entry way holds even more supplies.  That post is for another day, so stop back by to see my progress there!

I'm sharing here:

WIP Monday on ScrapScene

The Mommy Club at Crystal & Co.

DIY Accomplished at Homemaker's Challenge

I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom

The Charm of Home
SNAP!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Adorable! I'm setting up my scrapbooking stuff too ... only took 3 years! :)

Lacie Myers said...

Annie, this is awesome! What a clever use of space -- and you made it so cute! Tell me, how is that we could sing together for months, and walk together in the mornings, etc. and I not know you have a blog? Come to think of it you probably don't know I have a blog either, but I have great excuse: I haven't updated mine in many months so I consider it inactive, and you know what "inactive" means. Lately I have been motivated to activate my blog again, so we'll see what happens. Consider me your newest follower.

Bethany Hamersma said...

The scrape book hutch looks great,Annie!

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Thanks, Bethany! I'm all about trying to use what I have, and I tried to make it as visually appealing as possible, too, so my family didn't have to look at a bunch of junk day in and day out. :)

Ann said...

You're so organized! You would shriek at my cupboards!

The Charm of Home said...

Lovely! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Unknown said...

I love, love love this idea. Too bad I don't have room for a cabinet like that. My mom has one, but it's full of her dishes.

And you know what? That wallpaper looks like something we had in our dining room when I was a child.

Unknown said...

Wow it's really nice...This is what i have been looking for and you have done a great job. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
Keep sharing more.
Scrapbooking Supplies

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...