Monday, January 14, 2013

Meal Plan for January 2013, Week 3



Our meal plan this week will depend heavily on crockpot meals and meals that I've prepared ahead.  We did a family grocery shopping trip to last us for 2 weeks.  It's sometimes frustrating to shop with the kids and the husband, but it is also good for them to know the cost of what they eat and how to get the most bang for your buck.  I use some coupons and have a list that gives an estimate of what I will spend.  Then I keep track of what I'm putting in the cart by jotting down the price.  This shopping trip I wrote down the prices and was just $3 over my estimate (which means I probably missed something that went in the cart.)  This is so helpful because I don't like to be surprised at the checkstand!  Nothing worse than thinking you've stayed in budget then checking out $25 or more over! 

We found some sales on meat, including some pork shoulder roast on sale for $1.64/lb that I prepped for stew and for the colorado burritos (instead of beef) and boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.78/lb. that I came home and prepped for soft tacos for tonight and Cajun Chicken Pasta for later.  We bought 4 whole chickens, then I cut up 3 and threw the backs straight into the stock pot with some water to cover to make some chicken stock.  So I had 5 meals and the chicken stock prepping all at once!  And I'm not even a multi-tasker!  

The three chickens that I cut up I used for oven "fried" chicken that we served to the missionaries Saturday night.  The 3 birds were cut into 6 pieces each.  Usually there would be 8 pieces, but I kept the leg quarters whole since they were pretty small.  The breasts were huge, though, and I ended up splitting one with the hubs.  We made enough chicken so that we could send some home with the sweet missionary boys for lunch the next day.  I also made twice-baked potatoes for dinner while I peeled and cut up potatoes for the stew for this week.

It was a little bit hectic in the kitchen that afternoon, but I feel like I got a good jump on the week's dinners.  

Our menu this week will be:

Homemade Minestrone with polenta added for mock farinata.

Chicken Soft Tacos with rice and pintos on the side.

Tortellini Vegetable Soup from Two Peas and their Pod with some of this incredible and incredibly easy bread.  If you love a good, crusty, slightly sourdough bread you've got to try it!


My Crusty Bread in the cast iron Lodge pot.


I'm going to try this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta.  I love Cajun seasoning!  It is one of the most used seasoning in our home.  I sprinkle it on pork chops or chicken or vegetables.  It is even yummy sprinkled on garlic bread for a little kick!

Broccoli Cheese and Rice Casserole is meatless but has cheese, and sounds yummy and filling.  I might even add some curry to mine..

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup 

Colorado Burritos in the Crockpot

Breakfast For Dinner was requested with pancakes, eggs, and sausage on the menu.


I'm sharing here:

Menu Plan Monday at Orgjunkie

Susie QT pies mentioned last week's Baked Tacos that got a thumbs up from the peeps here. I made them ahead of time, stood them up in a 9x13 pan, wrapped with foil and froze.  Then I baked from frozen until they were heated through.  





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That bread looks so good. I miss crusty sourdoughy bread. (I have kids who can't have gluten so we don't) Everything sounds really great. I love all the inspiration from looking at everyone's menus. Have a great week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...